Fine Tuning Your World

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week 3- More from the Art of Possibility

I have done my best. I have steadily added to the whole of my being through positive and consistent works. Zander spoke of the ongoing pursuit of what is always out of reach in chapter 4. I did not make mention of this last week but I thought it really showed me one of the demons that I have fought. I have always looked for the next best thing or thought towards the future attainment. The grass always seems greener on the other side. Learning to live in the now or free oneself from the world of measurement can be a tremendous help. Contribution. I am a contribution and I am now set on a relentless journey to be a contribution on the regular.

A great point made in chapter five dealt with recognizing that we are all just pieces of the puzzle and together we achieve greatness. When in a leadership or facilitator role such as that the of the conductor or the teacher, the real challenge is in getting the most out of your students or whomever you are leading. It is easy to say, “look at me and all that I have done.” I would rather look at how much I have enabled others to do. Eventually credit goes where it is due so it make no sense to focus on how many accolades one will receive. In doing so you display a selflessness that others can see. You also are giving them an “A” because you place more emphasis on the value you see in them. As a result everyone takes ownership, which usually leads to positive outcomes. I think it is big to realize that everyone can make a contribution from whatever seat they may be in.

The limitations of the calculating self are amazing. This process of measurement and its significance can’t be understated to the adult seeking to move into the world of possibility. Rule Number 6 was good but “Have the best ___ever” was in my opinion a great way to visualize successful achievement of a goal. Naturally you are forced to eliminate barriers and forge a way to your goal. I think it is also about being fulfilled, content in a very healthy kind of way.



Dealing with the central self can be brutal. It is unforgiving but really cuts to the heart of a matter. I have said before that I want to see a world that is honest with itself. I think Many of the issues we face as a human race are dealing more with the calculating self and not with the central self. If someway we were able to deal with that I believe the world would be a much better place.

I like the phrase “presence without resistance” (page 101). It helps a person to live in the now, perhaps in a circumstance that is not so positive and accept it. It’s important to do that so one can move forward. Doing this can allow a person to make the most out of some very dismal circumstances.

I also thought the story of the young man whose parents were convince he had a communication problem describes situations that happen far too often for us all. I have seen many parents talk about what their child does or cannot do. I think this provides a huge limitation and in many cases causes a child to act in a particular way. I have also seen this many times in relationships. The “Alchemy of Language” of language as it is referred to in the book is real and something that we must be constantly aware of if we want to change our situations and to empower others to change.

3 comments:

  1. Terrance nicely stated. I like your reflection quite a bit. It seems in tune with the greater things. Your comments on the calculating self “the limitations of...” make me rethink some of my past “over concerns” with havoc that is reeked by ambitions of others to climb up the ladder of success. Your last paragraph of limitations of what a child “can” or “cannot do” being placed on them by their parents is of interest. It is the same way sometimes in the opposite direction too. Our school district at one time, in accordance with the State of Ohio’s wishes, wished to mark musicians, artists, and various areas of a students abilities as “gifted.” It seemed once that was done it was the last good work that was done by the student or the last time that they were part of “the team” of performers. The language can cut both ways as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel the leadership role and “giving an A” go hand in hand. I try to instill in my students to be a leader and not a follower and try to work for everything and not expect to be given grades. Working to you potential does make you an A student anyway and also above and beyond. That positive reinforcement and keeping our students encourage can lead our youth to leadership roles as well as to become” A” students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing T - I too suffer from GIAG (grass is always greener) Syndrome. I am always looking for the next best/exciting thing, which is playing right into my calculating self... jockeying for position. If you're always looking ahead, you can never appreciate where you're standing or even behind to learn from your mistakes.

    ReplyDelete