Fine Tuning Your World

Saturday, May 14, 2011

In response to Bruce Neubauer

Hello Bruce,

Wow. First let me say that I think this is exactly why the discussion board exists. I chose to respond here because of all the blogs I read, you had he audacity to go against the grain. There were some other dissenting views but your “Passionate Cynicism” is well appreciated here.

Having said that, I have to admit that I am enjoying the Art of Possibility Juice. I found that the anecdotes and the analogies where easy to connect to. I definitely understand the points made about Newtonian and Einsteinian society. I thought that was an excellent way to address how our collective worldview has evolved.

I side with you Bruce on the grading being a comparison of students- I don’t really agree with the authors there. You are absolutely right when you say that math is not arbitrary. This observation shows us that we have to take this book in the context of the authors experience, and recognize that it may not apply to every case.

Bruce Neubauer wrote:

“A cynic is a passionate person who does not want to be disappointed again.”

That quote was worth the entire price of admission. For this is what The Art of Possibility is all about: Protecting my heart from becoming such a stone-cold realist that I possibly miss being something better, or making others better.

At first glance The Art of Possibility reads like quasi-secularized-Buddhist theory. Unfortunately, the universe does not operate on subjective feelings or perceptions. Newtonian or Einsteinian, both still describe a physical universe that operates with mathematical precision. Which leads me to believe Zander is either a confused cosmic humanist, or an apostate secularist. Evolution (which is referenced a couple of times) is all about measurement. That’s how less vigorous organisms (or less desirable traits) get marginalized in biology’s great game (to use Zander’s analogy) of elimination

Which is why I disagreed with the perception that school grades are gamed to compare one student with another. The students at USC were not graded against their actual accomplishment, but with a random, arbitrary system. Math is not arbitrary. Grammar is not arbitrary. So I’m not sure about the accuracy of connecting these particular dots. Real skill is…real skill. Would Zander allow The Art of Possibility’s final draft to be overseen by a person with second rate editorial or proofreading skills? He wouldn’t. No matter how many conservatory musicians are encouraged to feel good about their A, no orchestra is going to keep them on the payroll if they can’t play the notes. Feeling special is not the same thing as being excellent.

I liked the metaphor of chipping away at a child’s exterior to help them achieve their natural bent. Absolutely correct. I also liked the future tense A grade. It places the student in the position to step up and take the responsibility for their success and growth. And the monk’s story touched me. I need to shift some ideas in my head about people in general. The monks were looking for the Messiah in one another. Not everyone is a Messiah, but everyone is worthy of such honorable respect.

Zander's ideas spoke to me. He is proposing a friendlier, more organic approach with ourselves and with others.



Follow me to Bruce's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment