Fine Tuning Your World

Saturday, May 14, 2011

In response to Patricia Ort

Patricia,

I too enjoyed the book. We agree on the Giving an A philosophy. I believe that new and radical thinking is necessary to motivate our students and this exercise does just that. There is huge potential for making an impact on the way a student approaches the learning process. I believe they would respond positively although you still have to, as the book suggests, look out for the students who may feel they do not have to work for the grade. I think in most cases students most would apply a newer level of responsibility and personal accountability to their studies.


Patricia Ort wrote:

The Art of Possibility, written by Rosamund Stone Zander and her husband, Benjamin Zander, is turning out to be better than I first thought. Initially, the title intrigued me. However, it took me until page 12 to really start to connect with what the author's were saying. By the end of the fourth chapter, I liked what I was reading so well that I ordered two more copies of the book to share with the two other teachers in my alternative high school program.

I especially liked giving people an A (including yourself). I think perception is really important. I could relate this idea with our approach to our alternative ed high school students. What if we did this with them? How would it transform our relationship with our students if we did that? The authors address the image of the teen, sitting in a resigned posture - as our alternative ed kids often do - and speculate how that would change if the students were treated like A students from the start. If we treat them like A students, and they treat themselves like A students, what would happen? I think I'd like to find out.

I appreciated the author's thoughts on our "world of measurement." This was especially thought provoking for me because I have been deeply frustrated by my work situation. I actually have been doing a lot of surviving, especially over the past four years. I found the ideas in this book rather liberating. Now, if I can just maintain that mindset! I am imagining my future just one year from now. What would I write if I were writing one of those A letters?

I liked the idea that "...resources are likely to come to you in greater abundance when you are generous and inclusive and engage people in your passion for life." I think this is true. It actually goes well with my own conviction that you make your own luck. True, there are random circumstances and people I can't control, but I choose how I respond to them, and if I am positive and keep pressing forward, I will be ready when opportunity presents its self.

I have to say, I also enjoyed the Ted video of Benjamin Zander. My 19 year-old son is a college music major and wishes to be a composer. I shared the video with him, certain he would especially like it because he has a particular knowledge of music. I was right.

I am looking forward to reading the next part of the book. Reading it has also prompted me to do a lot of reflection. If all goes well, I should be getting my EMDT masters at the end of June. If I leave the survival mindset behind and change my way of thinking, what will my attitude be as I complete my degree? What new opportunities will present themselves? I look forward to the next year with anticipation.



Follow me to Patricia's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment